A Brief History

My father, Jim Stevens, as one of the soldiers of the 601st Tank Destroyers, was on active duty for the entire engagement of the North African Campaign and The European Theater of Operations in WWII - for over 4 years. He experienced 546 days of actual combat. While he fought at the Kasserine Pass and El Guettar in North Africa and then in France and Germany, it is the Italian Campaign that I have chosen to focus on. Jim has often said that he would have liked to return to Italy. For him it would have been a ritual journey allowing him to reconcile the brutality of the war he fought with the people, culture, beauty and history of the country that he also experienced. At 91, he cannot take that journey so I am taking it for him.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Sicily Rome American Cemetery and Memorial


This is a beautiful tribute to the courage, the valor and the sacrifice made from Sicily to Rome and a peaceful resting place for those who gave their lives.

Brothers in Arms





 We found the grave of a 601 soldier, Francis J. Wasilk. He died on May 26, 1944, most likely in or near Cisterna. A very moving moment.













3 comments:

  1. At dinner tonight Silvano told me that the American sacrifice is not forgotten here. In Anzio, Memorial Day is the "Festa of the Americans." They have a ceremony at the cemetery and all of the townspeople visit graves with flowers. Also, on All Souls Day they visit to remember the dead. They make sure there are flowers at every grave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marian, I have several friends in Italy and my 'fratello' Paolo, of my age, often tells me of the fondness in which Italians hold Americans because of men like your father during the war. Though Paolo was not alive during that era, the stories laden with respect, fondess, and appreciation have been passed down by his grandfathers and father. It was this fondness and gratitude that keeps Italians like my friend Paolo continually respectful to America even during the times in our recent history when our country has chosen a less admirable path as viewed by those around the world. Paolo will always say, Italy will be forever indebted to the USA because of WWII and the honor we upheld even in the most difficult of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, I will pass this on to my father. He will be touched. I felt that appreciation, especially when I spoke with those in their 70's and 80's who were children during the war. They remember fear, hunger and relief that "The Americans" were coming.

    ReplyDelete