A Brief History

My father, Jim Stevens, as one of the soldiers of the 601st Tank Destroyers, was on active duty for the entire engagement of the North African Campaign and The European Theater of Operations in WWII - for over 4 years. He experienced 546 days of actual combat. While he fought at the Kasserine Pass and El Guettar in North Africa and then in France and Germany, it is the Italian Campaign that I have chosen to focus on. Jim has often said that he would have liked to return to Italy. For him it would have been a ritual journey allowing him to reconcile the brutality of the war he fought with the people, culture, beauty and history of the country that he also experienced. At 91, he cannot take that journey so I am taking it for him.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Photos of Famiglia

 Oh, the vino...
 Pasquale's fig tree.




 The kitchen and dining room.




 Rosina and family. Rosina has a beautiful smile, but for the photo she went formal.




The Zitella home. The house in the background is where Gigliola lives in the summers. It is the Consalvo family home.


1 comment:

  1. These pictures are beautiful. I might have to request some copies for my hallway. I read the entries from yesterday to Nan, she loved hearing about Rosina. I will encourage them to come up today to read them herself and see these wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete