A Brief History

My father, Jim Stevens, as one of the soldiers of the 601st Tank Destroyers, was on active duty for the entire engagement of the North African Campaign and The European Theater of Operations in WWII - for over 4 years. He experienced 546 days of actual combat. While he fought at the Kasserine Pass and El Guettar in North Africa and then in France and Germany, it is the Italian Campaign that I have chosen to focus on. Jim has often said that he would have liked to return to Italy. For him it would have been a ritual journey allowing him to reconcile the brutality of the war he fought with the people, culture, beauty and history of the country that he also experienced. At 91, he cannot take that journey so I am taking it for him.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Famiglia


Familia

Our arrival in Corfinio was all the buzz in the piazza. We were unfamiliar faces in the little village and we clearly didn’t know where we should park. Our attempts to ask where my cousin’s street is were met with smiles and then shrugs. Someone yelled over to a gentleman sitting on the porch of a small trattoria and he strolled over. I showed him Rosina’s name and address and he confidently strode off, gesturing that we should follow. We wound through very narrow streets, turning this way and that until he shouted to two folks sitting at the end of a lane, “Rosina, Rosina, famiglia”! I handed her my printed translated introduction of who I am and why I was there and as she read a smile broadened across her face. “Oh, Rena,” she said, “she left when she was 4 years old” and then she gave me a huge embrace and started speaking so fast in Italian that there was no way I could keep up. Her husband, Pasquale, invited us into their home, My grandfather’s family home, the home where my mother was born and lived until she was 4. Of course, a toast, to famiglia, then lots of pointing, gesturing and the naming of cousins familiar to both of us. She examined each photo in the album, quietly studying each face. I had a summary of each photo, who each person is and where they live, which she read and re-read to absorb it all. Her biggest smile and “facia bella” was for Addy RENA, Rena’s great granddaughter and namesake. At that point we toured the house, the small yard and the wine cellar, Pasquale’s pride and joy. Pasqual called some other relatives who came over to welcome us and the gesturing continued! With arrivedercie’s, mille gracie’s, and a kiss from Rosina for Rena, we parted. Rosina was reluctant to have a picture taken (just like Rena) but I did get one of her and the girls. She looks harsh in the photo and she was anything but harsh, she had a beautiful smile and her skin, oh I hope I got some of those genes!!



 Hey Lucie, Check out this operation!

So, this internet connection is very slow and if I sit here trying to upload more photos, I won't get to see anything! If I get a better connection in Rome, I'll post more then.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing a wonderful connection with family. Your writing allows all of us to stroll from the piazza to the wine cellar, where I can almost smell the grapes!

    ReplyDelete